A little choice creates a big ripple…
WOW it’s October already! I was at a loss on what to write about this month, and spent the last two weeks hoping something would emerge. Then I decided to just start writing as a way to discover what was just under the surface and, ‘The Little Choices’ came into being.
A little context. Astrologically I’m in that space of coming to the end of a nine year cycle. I’m being invited to learn the lessons of the last nine years and move into a new way of being. The lessons came in the form of unearthing HUGE deeply held habits and beliefs about scarcity and not enough, both personally and professionally, and the creation of very subtle habits/choices that only allowed for sporadic shifts.
Willing to be UNCOMFORTABLE…
The question became, “what are the new beliefs and habits I am to step into?” That’s where the word uncomfortable came up. Am I willing to be a little uncomfortable each day as I make new, little choices that are different from my old choices?
For example, instead of:
- Turning on the tv at 8:00 pm, choose to read a chapter or two of a book.
- Looking at the nice weather outside, go for the walk.
- Thinking of someone, actually reach out when someone’s name comes into my awareness.
- Wondering what to write…just write.
When we make different little choices they make us feel just a wee bit uncomfortable. It’s like having to stretch the leather of a new pair of shoes.
Feelings of Empowerment…
It’s the little choices that we make every day that ultimately empowers us to create the changes we want to see in our life, and in our world. Further examples of some of my new, little choices, as a move towards my new nine year cycle may include things like:
- Reaching for a healthy snack instead of a bowl of chips…ok maybe the little choice is actually not buying the bag of chips…OK if I’m being really honest, maybe not buying the BIG bag of chips when a little bag will do.
- Listening to a gratitude meditation when I wake up and just before going to bed to frame my days differently.
- Making a to do list and crossing things off instead of winging it.
- Catching myself in those deep habituations of saying no, and to say YES instead.
The effect of these little choices is I feel light, empowered, motivated and excited about what’s possible.
When we make a conscious effort to make little choices every day we begin to feel empowered. All of a sudden, feeling uncomfortable isn’t as scary because the little choices are actually stretching the boundaries we create for ourselves. It’s turning a no, into a yes, inside ourselves. We begin to see and experience our world differently. Things start to happen, almost like magic. This is the power of little choices.
My invitation to you; Consider… what little choices are you willing to choose today in order to create the big ripple in your life?
Until the next time!